About the webinar:
This webinar comprises 3 one-hour sessions covering each of the compulsory CPD subjects for lawyers.
Session 1: Professional Skills: Alternative Dispute Resolution – Refining Skills for Early Resolution
Anthony Lo Surdo SC, Barrister, Advanced Mediator & Arbitrator, Sydney
What specific skills do you need when representing a client in alternative dispute resolution and how might they differ when dealing with clients who are in different industries? This session highlights specific skill sets for ADR, identifying the key areas for success, particularly in early resolution. It includes:
- Conflict analysis – identifying key issues for early resolution
- Choice of ADR:
- expert appraisal
- Analysing context and related history
- Conflict resolution skills – what are they?
- Establishing lines of communication
- What if technical assistance is required? (legal or otherwise) – sourcing third party assistance
- Case study - Informal pre-litigation mediation
Session 2: Ethics: Conflict of Interest and Professional Obligation – Dealing with Ethical Priorities
Philip Bambagiotti, Barrister, 10th Floor St James Hall Chambers, Sydney
Whilst conflict of interest is a clear ethics issue, it is necessary to look at exactly what that means under the solicitor conduct rules. This session looks at conflict of interest from a practitioner’s professional obligation perspective and the solicitor conduct rules:
- Conflict-of-interest situations explained:
- conflicts and former clients
- conflicts and current clients
- conflicts and the solicitor’s own interests
- Preventing conflict situations arising – a checklist
- Managing the conflict once it arises
- Disclosure obligations when conflicts arise
- Ensuring appropriate systems to prevent conflicts of interest – “Chinese” walls
- Your opponent is conflicted – what are your options?
- Conflict situations in big firms and multidisciplinary firms
Session 3: Practice Management & Business Skills: Developing Your Online Profile
Noric Dilanchian, Managing Partner, Dilanchian Lawyers & Consultants, Sydney
Your online profile could be the difference that gives you that competitive edge. Don’t get left behind. This session looks at key content you must have in your online profile:
- Correct presentation of professional expertise and accomplishment
- Specialist v generalist – getting the right balance in your professional profile
- An opening summary that really sells you
- Robust headlines that convey the right message
- Promoting yourself without hubris – a subtle art
- Managing your social media profile – which platforms?
- To tweet or not to tweet – should you use Twitter?
- Facebook and Instagram – strictly for the kids?
- Case study - Your LINKEDIN profile – finding your connections and harnessing its potential
Who should attend
This webinar is suitable for lawyers - Australia wide and it has been designed to deliver the 3 compulsory subject CPD units for the CPD year ending 31st March 2017.
Live webinar delegates will receive a CPD certificate for attendance at this webinar. Lawyers can claim 3 CPD [CLE] units – compulsory subjects. 1 unit each for Ethics, Practice Management and Professional Skills.