Thursday 6th August 2015
Duration: approx. 2 hours
Stamp duty is a cost that must be factored into every business acquisition. Understanding its extent is vital and planning for it is a key part of the adviser’s role. This session looks at stamp duty in all Australian jurisdictions as it affects business acquisitions:
- What is dutiable and what is not?
- Sale of assets v. sale of shares – stamp duty implications
- Inventories and stamp duty
- Intellectual property and stamp duty
- Stamp duty on statutory licences
- Goodwill – stamp duty issues
- Customer lists and trade debtors – are they subject to duty?
- Situations where stamp duty can be clawed back
- Necessary information when lodging compliance statement
- Lease arrangements: assignment or novation – stamp duty implications
- Stamp duty issues on partition of business
- Landholder duty in business acquisitions
- Apportionment of dutiable values where business is cross border
- Evidence of value
This webinar is suitable for in-House Counsel, lawyers and accountants advising on business law matters – Australia wide. This webinar is for practitioners with some knowledge in this area and looking to improve their knowledge.
PRESENTED BY: Andrew Rider, Barrister, Level 22 Chambers, Sydney
Andrew Rider specialises in taxation laws and regularly appears for both tax offices and taxpayers in the various Federal and State courts and tribunals. In addition to his appearance work, Andrew advises extensively on taxation laws, including CGT, income tax, GST, fuel tax, stamp duties, payroll tax and land tax.
Prior to commencing practice at the Bar, Andrew was a solicitor in private practice for 12 years advising on the taxation aspects of a wide range of commercial, property and financing transactions.
Prior to commencing work as a solicitor, Andrew was an Associate to Justice Michael Kirby.
Over the years, Andrew has lectured in taxation laws at the University of Technology, Sydney and edited the leading Australian stamp duty publication “Australian Stamp Duties Law”. Andrew is a Chartered Tax Adviser with The Tax Institute (formerly the Taxation Institute of Australia) and a member of The Tax Institute/Office of State Revenue Liaison Committee.
© 2015 Television Education Network Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. The program for this webinar is copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without the prior written consent of the copyright owner.