- About the Conference
- The Faculty
- CPD Certificate
- Registration Special Offer
Online over 4 half days
Thursday 5, Friday 6, Thursday 12 & Friday 13 October 2023
10am to 1.05pm each day
About the Conference
In recent years, religious institutions have encountered substantial obstacles, and the challenges persist: the ambiguity surrounding religious freedom, the reopening of resolved abuse claims, and the ongoing evolution and expansion of HR matters. The Fifth Annual Law of Religious Institutions Conference delves into these key issues along with sessions on conflict of interest disclosure, managing the risks with volunteer reliance, as well as thorny taxation issues.
This year, our regular two day conference will be delivered online in four parts over four half-days. All delegates registering for the online conference will receive recordings of all the sessions post-conference to view at your leisure.
Thursday 5 October 2023 [10am to 1.05pm]
Part 1: Governance and Structuring
- For Whom the Bell Tolls: Counting the Cost of Poor Governance for Religious Institutions
- It’s All Relative: Conflict of Interest Disclosure in Religious Institutions
- The Regulator’s Role in the Religious Sector: Might v Right?
Friday 6 October 2023 [10am to 1.05pm]
Part 2: Managing Compliance Risks
- Child Safety Compliance and Risk Management for Religious Institutions
- Updates and Developments in Historical Sexual Abuse Claims
- God’s Little Acre: Real Estate and Religious Institutions
Thursday 12 October 2023 [10am to 1.05pm]
Part 3: Managing Employees
- Developments in Employment Law for Religious Institutions
- On the Front Line: Psychosocial Injury and Religious Institutions
- Risks and Rewards in Volunteer Reliance
Friday 13 October 2023 [10am to 1.05pm]
Part 4: Future Reforms
- Current issues in Fundraising and Philanthropy for Religious Institutions
- Religious Freedom - At the Crossroads?
- An Unholy Alliance: Religious Advancement, PBIs and Taxation
Murray Baird, Principal Murray Baird Advisory and Consultant Prolegis Lawyers, Melbourne, Vic
Howard Harrison, Partner, Carroll & O’Dea, Sydney, NSW
Rebecca Lambert-Smith, Moores, Melbourne, Vic
Sam Burnett, Partner, Prolegis Lawyers, Sydney, NSW
Luke Geary, Partner, Mills Oakley, Brisbane, Qld
Mark Fowler, Principal, Fowler Charity Law, Sydney
Alistair Macpherson, Managing Director, Corney & Lind Lawyers, Brisbane, Qld
Adrian Barwick, Director, WilliamsonBarwick, Sydney, NSW
Adam Foster, Partner, Colin Biggers & Paisley Lawyers, Melbourne, Vic
Sonya Parsons, Partner, Mills Oakley, Sydney, NSW
Vera Visevic, Partner, Mills Oakley, Sydney, NSW
Libby Klein, Director, Social Impact Legal, Melbourne, Vic
Catherine Brooks, Senior Advisor, Wendy Brooks & Partners, Melbourne, Vic
Chris Mills, Director, Neumann & Turnour Lawyers, Brisbane, Qld
Nathan Donovan, Director, Donovan Winkler Lawyers, Brisbane, Qld
Jonathan Green, Senior Associate, Mills Oakley, Sydney, NSW
- I am an in-house counsel for a church organisation and this will be completely relevant to my field of work. Plus, there is no other legal conference like this in Australia to cater for religious lawyer/organisation needs.
- Great variety of relevant topics. Speakers were experts and shared their experiences selflessly. They covered the field and made it relevant to us both as legal practitioners and church employees.
- All the content is highly relevant for religious institutions and the speakers are working in the space so understand the unique nature of churches/welfare organisations.
- The topics were highly appropriate and the speakers were well qualified to speak on their topic. I learned a lot.
Lawyers (except WA): 10 CPD units (substantive law).
WA Lawyers: 6 CPD points (substantive law) being the maximum claimable for a conference. TEN is an accredited provider.
All delegates attending the conference will receive a CPD Certificate confirming attendance.
Registration Special Offer
Multiple registration discount
Discounts are available for multiple registrations: The more you send, the greater the discount. You can access the discount by contacting our Event Coordinator to organise your registrations (details below).
- 3 registrations – 5% discount for each delegate
- If you register 4 people at the same time you are entitled to a 10% discount for each delegate
- If you register 5 people or more people at the same time you are entitled to a 15% discount for each delegate.
One part only? We do accept bookings for attending for individual parts. To organise a part booking, please contact our Event Coordinator (details below).
If you need assistance or have an enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact our Event Coordinator, Hayley Williams-Cameron, on (03) 8601 7730 or email: email@example.com