The Armidale CLE Conference - the 65th edition!
The Armidale CLE Conference, now in its 65th year, is designed so that NSW practitioners can fulfil their requirement for the current CPD year. There are 10 sessions designed to deliver 7 substantive law units and 3 compulsory subject units. In addition, the ethics session will also satisfy the Lawcover maintenance requirements.
Our key speakers for this event cover some of the most important topics.
1. Nathan Yii, Principal Lawyer, Chartered Tax Advisor and SMSF Specialist Advisor from Nathan Yii Lawyers, Melbourne will bring his interesting topic - The Loan Ranger: Protecting the Bank of Mum and Dad!
The pressures on parents to lend or give their adult children money has increased in line with the cost of living, leaving parents vulnerable and children potentially abusive. Nathan will set out some of the options available for providing loans which safeguard mum and dad and the rest of the family, including:
• Deciding on the appropriate mechanism for loan arrangements
• What are the essential clauses in a formal loan agreement?
• Repayment obligations, security and rights to secure in future
• When is a co-ownership agreement an option?
• Drafting for potential changes in circumstances
• Strategies for protecting the loan from future claims in the event of a relationship breakdown • Implications and financial consequences of loan arrangements through family trusts
• Updating wills to reflect loans and directions to executors for forgiveness or collection
• Equalising bequests to other children to offset sibling loans
He will do this by reviewing some recent cases to add to the learning.
2. Practice and Procedure in Conveyancing: Recent Developments in NSW. Despite the slow-down in the property market, regulatory changes and other developments continue to keep the industry on its toes. Well known speaker Tony Cahill, Legal Author & Commentator, Chatswood will provide an overview of key legislation, cases and other significant changes, including:
• Electronic conveyancing update including process changes and reform timelines
• Update on interoperability - The politics of intervention and the impact of the Electronic Conveyancing (Adoption of National Law) Amendment Act 2022
• The impact of anti-money laundering legislation on property transactions and industry players
• An update on the strata legislation rewrite and introduction of amendments
• Recent cases of interest
These are just some of the crucial topics presented at this year's 65th Annual Armidale CLE Conference to be held in Armidale on Thursday 1 & Friday 2 February 2024.