Suzy is an experienced projects and procurement lawyer with a real depth of experience in ports, water, mining and renewable energy. She specializes in front-end project development and operations. Suzy has worked in Australia and abroad, in private practice and in-house, including as European Counsel for an international port operator in Belgium, as project lawyer for a major mine developer and as corporate counsel for a Queensland government owned corporation.
About the Webinar
This webinar is part of TEN’s “Back to Basics” range of webinars which are specifically produced for junior practitioners. This webinar is priced at only $99 as our way of giving back to the profession and providing a cost effective means for firms to provide CPD for junior practitioners.
The practice of grabbing a precedent document and cutting and pasting can save heaps of time but the consequences of having a contract which is inadequate or full of gaps can be costly and dire. This session will examine the common mistakes made in drafting contracts and provide a toolkit for checking all eventualities are catered for in the final draft, including:
- Don’t neglect the planning stage – what is the contract’s purpose?
- The perils and pitfalls of precedent usage
- Legal formalities and other requirements including statutory obligations
- Identifying and defining the parties and their obligations
- Drafting for the now and then – anticipating changing circumstances and potential events
- Strategies for avoiding uncertainty, imprecision and ambiguity
- Common problems in formatting, cross-referencing and grammar
- Typo’s – harmless or harmful?
- Checking, checking and checking again
- Cases and examples
Suzy CairneyPartner, Sparke Helmore Lawyers Brisbane, QLD
Who Should Attend?
This webinar is suitable for junior lawyers practising in commercial law – Australia wide.
Lawyers can claim up to 1 CPD unit/point – substantive law. This webinar has been designed to run for 1 hour, however, webinar lengths can vary depending on the level of questions and discussion.
WA lawyers – Please note that TEN is unable to verify your completion of recorded webinars to the Legal Practice Board of WA. TEN is an accredited provider.
If you need assistance or have an enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact our Webinar Coordinator, Lisa Tran on (03) 8601 7709 or email: [email protected]